Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Week At A Glance


One thing that really helps with creating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is to plan out your week. If you already know the choices you're going to make throughout the week, you're much less likely to make bad ones. A schedule of your week gives you something that you have to be accountable to, especially when it comes to fitness. Here's what I do each week to stay on track.
Grocery Shopping:
My number one weight loss tip would be to MAKE YOUR OWN FOOD. Always know exactly what you're eating and how it is helping or hurting your body.
It's important to create a grocery list before you go food shopping because it keeps you from making impulse buys (costing you more money) and buying junk food that you don't want in your house. Don't forget to purge your home of all crap before starting a diet. Also, planning out your meals for the week will keep you from cheating on your diet because you know exactly what you're going to be eating and when.
You want to stay mostly on the border of the grocery store, which is where the produce, dairy, and protein is. Don't go wondering down the cookie and cracker aisle because, as much as you'll hate to admit it, you DON'T NEED ANYTHING down there. Trust me, it's just torture. The only other aisle I go down is the oil/ canned fish aisle so that I can get my olive oil and tuna. 
Daily Meal Plan:
Breakfast: Egg whites with vegetables (broccoli and mushrooms are my favorite) you can also add bacon/ turkey bacon if you think you need it
Snack: Carrot sticks, other vegetables, fruit, nuts, guacamole, hummus
Lunch: Lean protein on a salad (I use olive oil and lemon juice for my dressing)
Snack: Carrot sticks, other vegetables, fruit, nuts, guacamole, hummus
Dinner: Lean protein with vegetables (no butter!)
"Dessert": Depending on what time you have dinner, you may get hungry again. If you're feeling hungry after dinner, try drinking a big glass of water to see if the feeling goes away. If it doesn't then I'd recommend a low-sugar fruit, but not within 2-3 hours of bedtime if you can help it.
Cheat Days/ Alcohol:
I don't believe in having an entire cheat day because, honestly, I could eat an entire week's worth of calories in one day and blow all of my progress. You want a reasonable cheat meal to kick cravings, reward yourself, and shock your system. What you don't want (and I've learned this the hard way many times) is to get on the scale the next morning having gained several pounds and blown your whole week.
Let's be reasonable here. I'm 23-years-old. I'm going to drink alcohol.
I like to reserve my alcohol intake for my cheat nights. Again, be careful of what you're drinking because you can ruin your progress with alcohol as well. I wouldn't have a lot of alcohol before your cheat meal because it's going to slow down your metabolism and increase the affect on the extra calories your taking in. Shy away from high-calorie beers, ciders and cocktails. I'm a big tequila fan so I like tequila and orange juice or tequila soda water and lime. You can do vodka and rum the same way- just watch the calories in your mixers.
Exercise:
I find it best to work out 5 days in a row and then let your body recuperate for 2 days in a row. If you have a weird schedule, do what works best for you but try to workout 4-5 times a week for at least an hour.
Monday: Lower Body strength/conditioning with weights followed by 30 minutes of cardio
Tuesday: Upper Body strength/conditioning with weights followed by 30 minutes of cardio
Wednesday: Cardio-intensive for 45-60 minutes total
Thursday: Total Body strength/conditioning with weights followed by 30 minutes of cardio
Friday: Cardio-intensive for 45-60 minutes total

That's it! Remember, if plan out your week and make smart choices, you'll see the progress you want to see.
xo AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment